Hello fellow foodies,
This is one of my many attempts to try to incorporate more meatless meals into our rotation.
This dish can really be as bland or spicey as you prefer. My kids tend to like it more bland so I half the spices and add some salsa to spice mine up.
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks of celery,chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minces
- Half a green bell pepper, diced*
- Half a red pepper, diced*
- 1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable stock (or broth)
- 1 tsp dried oregano, basil and thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups beans (I use white and kidney)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
First heat up the olive oil in a medium sized pan and sautee the onion and garlic. Once the onion is transparent add the bell peppers and celery, sautee 2-5min (I like mine to be crisper so I do 2min).
I will sometimes brown the rice after the peppers for 3-5min. If you choose not to do this simply add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Once it’s brought to a boil reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20-25min (checking at the 15min mark to make sure it’s not overcooked).
Then mix it together well and serve with desired toppings.
I love fresh parsley but ours went bad so we only garnished it with green onions.
It was super easy to make and only required one dish. Win – win in my book!
We all enjoyed the leftovers 🙂